Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm 

Hi All,

What kind of weather info do you use? With online changing so much, what sites do you like the most? Why?
I have to say I am a little bit of a traditionalist and still like DUATS,
http://maps.avnwx.com/ and of course foreflight:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:02 am 

i really like www.aviationweather.gov and rucsoundings.noaa.gov for forecast sounding data. also, www.fltplan.com for the official briefing and flight plan filing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:11 pm 

I use about three different tools for flight planning and weather.

Duats of course, also I understand if there is an incident a part of the investigation includes a look at the DUATS logs to see if you checked weather.

The AOPA flight planner will give a graphic view of the AIRMETs. It's a nice big picture sort of thing.

As Tony mentioned the aviationweather.gov website, particularly the JAVA METARs tool at http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/java/

I still get surprised occasionally though. I fly out of Livermore and typically East into and around the San Joaquin valley. There have been many times where everywhere is reporting 10SM and clear. I show up and that "10SM and clear" claim is pretty hard to believe. It's easy to stay on top until you get back to Livermore where everyone gets compressed into the same crummy airspace over the Altamont.

If anyone has some ideas about how to better discover the visibility surprise I'd love to hear it. Looking out the window doesn't help, Livermore seems to have the ability to be perfectly clear when everywhere around is anything but.

Never tried http://maps.avnwx.com/ and foreflight but will check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:39 pm 

I use maps.AvnWx.com -- Love the easy-to-read graphical nature of it.

Oh yea, that's my site <grin>. Thanks for the plug, Anais.

I'm working on a new NOTAM parser, check out:
http://maps.AvnWx.com/notam.html

enter an airport, or a path (airports/navaids separated by a dash). Let me know if you have suggestions on the presentation. It will get integrated with the rest of the maps application soon.

With respect to "official" briefing, realize that for most part 91 flights, "official" merely means you've "become familiar with all available information concerning that flight" [Part 91.103]. DUATs is no more "official" than the weather channel (though it's difficult to claim the weather channel provides "all available information")

In any case, consult a number of sources and CALL 800-WX-BRIEF for absolute last-minute TFRs.

Enjoy.
-Peter Buckner
maps.AvnWx.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am 

Ive found the ADDS website to be the most user friendly. BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET A OFFICIAL WEATHER BRIEF, ie. a preflight briefer or the duats website.

I think the ADDS website is working with the FAA to become an official source of weather for pilots, but Im not too sure how far along they are.